Thursday 6 October 2022

LIFE WITH FRAGILE X SYNDROME AGE 31

I last wrote one of these posts when I was 28 and I thought I would write an updated one age 31 as things have changed since then.

Making Friends
I don't have friends, I thought if I got a job then I'd meet people and make friends, but I haven't got a job, so I've not made friends. I spend a lot of my time by myself which I don't mind but sometimes I wish I had friends. Meeting people and making friends is difficult for me because I'm shy and I don't look at people. It's also lot harder when you get older, I don't keep in contact with anyone from school or college and I didn't make friends at my past jobs either. There aren't really any clubs here I could join either which would be helpful. 

Confidence
I think I've gained more confidence since doing volunteering and going to reed to get extra help and support. I've also been using the phone more which might not seem like a big deal to some, but it is to me. I've never had to use the phone, I never answered it at the charity shop I still don't like using the phone much, but I do sometimes have to use it.

Finding a Job 
I'm still unemployed and still trying I've had some interviews which I thought went well but I was still unsuccessful. I apply for what I can but a lot of jobs are unsuitable hours so I can't get there or get home which is annoying but that's what retail is. I don't know what else I could do, being unemployed is really tough and it's got even worse since the pandemic. I haven't been going to the jobcentre as they said I could have phone calls; due to the cost of living I didn't know I could at the time but it's better for me, so I don't have to pay £5 return for the bus every 2 weeks.

Online Course
I completed an online course on zoom which was through reed, it went well, I learnt more about customer service, met people virtually and gained confidence even though it was on zoom. I am glad I took part, it helped me, and it will look good on my Cv. I've done many other courses in the past which have been okay, but they didn't get me a job.

Reed
I've been getting help from Reed since this year and it's been going well, I've been to different sessions to help me which I have found useful such as interview help, job club, a catering and hospitality and a confidence session.

Volunteering
I stopped volunteering at the charity shop I was at for 9 years in 2020 when the pandemic hit, it was at the time we got a new manager who I don't know and I lost interest in it, the people who were there left so it wasn't fun anymore. In 2021 I began volunteering at the local cinema theatre where I'm still there but to be honest I've lost interest in that now because there isn't enough to do, there's always too many of us and I feel like a spare part. It has helped me to meet people, gain confidence and try new things, I did do a first aid session which I thought was good.

I hope you found this post helpful 
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LIFE WITH FRAGILE X SYNDROME AGE 33