Sunday 5 March 2017

LET'S CHAT ABOUT: CONFIDENCE

I've always lacked confidence, I don't crave to be the most confident person in the world but sometimes it would be nice to have more. I have gained some over the years from volunteering and other retail jobs.So I thought I'd share how I got through life and give you some tips.
School/College
I was very shy and quiet at school I didn't have a lot of friends and lacked confidence so I was left out of things. I didn't want to be the most confident but I guess I wanted to fit it and have friends but it wasn't easy. College was a bit better the last course I did was a computer one and I made friends on that (they aren't my friends now). There was one person I clicked with but we aren't friends anymore we had a laugh together but she deleted me off social media and that was that.
Jobs
I gained confidence from working at M&S at Christmas in 2015 I was mostly working on the tills and doing shelf filling. I did talk to the customers more and I also helped them if they couldn't find anything. I did enjoy it but not so much where it was (Chelmsford) and also I'm not keen on Christmas jobs. I am now at B&M through Shaw trust (don't ask I don't get it either) but it's money and experience. I have gained so much more confidence since being there and I am talking to more people and making friends .I didn't really gain any confidence at my last job as a marketing assistant at a probate company I felt a lot more pressured and overall it was very difficult. I did quite like the idea of Monday to Friday so maybe I'll look for a role that does that but at the moment I'm unsure of what I want to do.

Volunteering
Way back in 2010 I started volunteering at Each which was pretty scary for me as this was something I'd never thought about doing until mencap suggested it. I was nervous and worried about it, at times I felt like giving up but I didn't and I'm glad!. I do wonder where I'd be if I hadn't of taken it up. I was very quiet, shy and reserved at first and didn't say a lot, but as time went on I came out my shell and now I'm a cheeky bugger and never shut up!. It's made a huge difference to me and I can't believe I'm still there 7 years later!.
Fragile X
I think having Fragile x makes things harder as well but I do believe I've over come most things since school I definitely feel more confident in myself now than I did. I do get those days when I don't feel very confident but most of the time I'm ok. I guess having support helps a lot too and people around me who believe in me I am grateful to everyone who has supported me and still does!.

My Top 10 Tips On Gaining Confidence
1.Be yourself!
2.It takes time to gain confidence so don't beat yourself up if things don't go right.
3.If you're unsure of something at work, school, college etc then ask I know it's hard I've been there but it will help you in the long run and the more you do it, it will come naturally.
4.Take up volunteering it really does help to meet people and talk to them. This has made a huge difference to me I'm glad I started way back in 2010 I was 20 :O haha gone so quick.
5.Surround yourself with positive people.
6.Put on your make up and best outfit (this does help honest!)
7.If you get an opportunity take it! such as a new job even if you're not very confident at first it will soon get easier and you'll be a whizz! Since I was at M&S and now I'm at B&M I've definitely gained a lot more confidence in myself.
8.Never give up
9.Make a confidence playlist on Spotify and have a good old sing!
10.Don't let anyone bring you down just keep doing you.



Thanks for reading.

I hope this post has helped you in some ways.

Leave a comment to share your stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LIFE WITH FRAGILE X SYNDROME AGE 33