Sunday 3 June 2018

LET'S CHAT ABOUT: FRAGILE X SYNDROME

As I've got back into writing my lets chat series I decided to write about Fragile x, I have posted many posts before so be sure to check them out. Anyway on with today's post I hope you like it and this little series.

What Is Fragile X?
Fragile x syndrome is a genetic learning disability which affects boys and girls. It affects everyone differently and some have it worse then others. I was diagnosed at about 8 years old and I've struggled with school, college and employment etc. It affects around 1 in 4000 boys and men, as well as 1 in 6000 girls and women.

How Does It Affect Me?
I struggle with maths and numbers I can't add up in my head or write it down I passed my GCSE with a G so I guess that's better than a fail!. I also find it hard to meet people, be sociable and I can be shy at times too. I never really have any luck with employment either it's something I didn't think I would struggle as much as I did/do now. I can get interviews but can never get past that stage they make a simple job sound so complicated and it's always the same reply other people have more experience its just a vicious circle. So how do I get experience if I don't get a chance?. It is hard to find a job with a disability and while I only have fragile x mild it still affects me and I wish that some things were easier.

Bullying
I was bullied throughout school I didn't have friends ,no one wanted to be my friend and I just hated it. I struggled with the work and I was always behind. After I left school I went to college but still got bullied there but the last course I did was ok I made friends and I enjoyed it.

Volunteering
When I began volunteering back in 2010 I didn't think I'd still be there 7 years later! it wasn't my plan at all but it has helped with confidence and coming out my shell. My manager at the time was a huge help and now he's left it's not the same and I miss him lots :(. I do wish I had a paid job though as it would be better! I want to meet people and earn my own money.

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LIFE WITH FRAGILE X SYNDROME AGE 33