Thursday 21 February 2019

FRAGILE X SYNDROME Q&A

Welcome to my Fragile X Q&A post! I've wanted to write a Q&A for a while but no one ever asked questions so the Fragile X Society helped me with this and I got a few questions so here are my answers. Thank you to everyone who asked me a question.



1. What things do you find most difficult?
Maths, job interviews, making friends, finding employment and confidence.

2. Is there certain areas of adult life you feel you need more support with. X
Employment and job interviews which I have had support with in the past. I now get help from my one to one sessions which I started last year.

3. I have a soon to be 11 year old daughter with Fragile X, is there anything you would tell your 11 year old self that you wish you had known back then?
I wish my school teachers were more helpful and understanding when it came to Fragile X because I found the work difficult which made me fall behind. I think schools, colleges etc need to be more aware and know about Fragile X and any other disabilities.

4. My toddler was diagnosed with Fragile X in October. Can you tell me what life was like for you as a child? How can I best support him?
I struggled at both primary and secondary school the teachers didn't know much about Fragile X so my advice would be keep on at them for when he starts school or nursery so they are aware of what it is and how it affects him daily.

5. Can you tell me if you and your family had heard of Fragile X before diagnosis and did that affect how you all felt about the situation?
No, my parents hadn't heard of Fragile X before it was new to them and me and yes it did affect the situation because they didn't know how I was going to cope with things such as school etc. 

6. How does Fragile X effect your everyday life?
The things that effect me everyday are being social and communicating with others.

7. What advice would you give to a younger girl with Fragile X?
Don't give up, ask for help, be yourself and don't let anyone tell you, you can't achieve something!.

Thanks for reading.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LIFE WITH FRAGILE X SYNDROME AGE 33