Wednesday 28 June 2023

FINDING A JOB WHEN YOU HAVE A LEARNING DISABILITY

There are many challenges when it comes to job hunting the searching,the applying and going to interviews all these things are difficult and take time and it's even harder for people like me who have a learning disability. I have Fragile X Syndrome which is a genetic condition this affects me with making eye contact even though I am listening, meeting new people, being in busy places and being anxious.

I volunteered at a charity shop for 9 years which helped me gain confidence,come out my shell and I become less shy I loved it and met some great people who I do still see now and then.When the pandemic hit I gave it up because all the good people left and I didn't like it as much.

Sometimes I say no to things and I know that I am allowed to but sometimes I feel under pressure to take up things even if they're not for me.I am trying my best to find paid employment but sometimes I feel like people don't listen to me and suggest unsuitable jobs which makes me feel like they don't think I'm trying even though I am. I've been trying for so long and it's tedious and draining but I keep positive and plodding on.

I just want a job I can get to specifically where I live but if not then on a bus route with suitable hours in the DAY. I'm trying to make things easy for myself but it sometimes feels like people are making things difficult and it's not helping. My first job was a Christmas one which was working in a supermarket it was alright but no one really spoke to me and I was glad when it was over. My next job was another Christmas one in Chelmsford which wasn't ideal at all but at the time it was a job and experience but again no one spoke to me. The job after that wasn't as far but I didn't really like it after I had an issue no one helped me with. All the paid jobs I've had haven't got me a job now which I don't understand? I sometimes feel like I'm being discriminated.

When I go to interviews I always feel judged and under pressure to be outgoing and really confident and while I have some confidence I am not very outgoing. I am more than capable of working with the right support and guidance. These days interviews are so difficult and nerve racking I wish they weren't a thing because they don't mean anything purely based on answering questions that are hard. I think they should give a paid trail and see how people work. Anyone who has learning disabilities deserves to work and have a supportive employer and colleagues.

Thanks for reading.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LIFE WITH FRAGILE X SYNDROME AGE 33